Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cast in to the Sea

By Joseph C. Collins

My God, My God how I see
That I will never be worthy of someone like Thee
Still you come to find me, My God. My God, surely you see
That am so unworthy of someone as Thee.
I hear of that sea: the sea of forgetfulness.
And I know I should be in such a sea.
My God why do you want me?
Why should I have the honor of seeing all that you have made: the stars in the sky, the trees that grow on the mountains, and the waves that make the ocean move?
Why should I have command over the animals, and why should I have such an honor to even carry the name of “child of God”?
I am guilty for I have sinned against you and all you have made.
But still you came to find me.
I am unworthy of Thee, O Lord.
God, let me go for I do not deserve your eyes to be upon me,
And so I say, “ My God, my God, I do not deserve to be with someone as Thee.
So please let me be cast away into the sea.”

My child, my child why can’t you see that you are of me.
Yet I hear you say to let you stay far away from me.
My child, my child, I am the one who has made all that you see and all the you smell and all that you eat and all that you feel.
I have made the stars in the sky.
I have made the mountains and the trees.
Yet I hear you say you want to just walk away.
My child, my child look at thee.
Do not hide your face from me.
I did not work all those days to watch you walk away.
Yes I did make all things, but who will ask me of those things.
Who will come to me and ask about those stars, and who will ask about the sky and the trees and the rocks and the ground that you stand on?
My child, my child, the pain that you feel is not of me.
I will cast it away.
And yet you hide your face from me.
Do I not deserve the right to see the face that I have made?
Is it not mine to see?
Look at me.
Do I look ashamed of thee?
Why should I be?
For who looks down on me?
Who can say, “Look at those you made and how they do not do what you say.”
Who can say such things to me?
And yet you hide your face from me.
My child, my child can you not see?
That you’re of me.
And I will not have you cast away into the sea.

No comments: